Scott Seabolt is a named member of HHBJS. Before joining HHBJS, he spent 20 years practicing law at two prominent national and international law firms. He formed his own firm in 2016, which was named the Best Business Litigation Boutique in Michigan (2020) by U.S. Business News Legal Elite. He merged his practice and became a named partner in HHBJS in 2020. Mr. Seabolt is an experienced trial attorney, business litigator and trusted advisor to clients across a variety of industries.
Mr. Seabolt has extensive experience representing closely held corporations, limited liability companies, and their constituents in a variety of privately owned business disputes, including shareholder/member disputes, shareholder/member oppression, business divorces, breach of fiduciary duties, and disputes over business valuations. He also counsels business owners on business formation/structure questions and in drafting operating and shareholder agreements. Mr. Seabolt also has represented both buyers and sellers in post-M&A disputes involving breaches of reps and warranties, indemnification and fraud.
Mr. Seabolt has experience in a variety of other business and commercial litigation matters including:
- Supply chain disputes and other UCC sales disputes
- False claims act litigation
- Breach of warranty
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Accounting malpractice
- Securities fraud
Mr. Seabolt has extensive experience leading and conducting internal investigations for corporate clients. He has led and conducted internal investigations involving allegations of embezzlement, misappropriation of company assets, economic espionage, insider trading, bribery and corruption, cyber-fraud, False Claims Act violations, and international sanctions, among others. Mr. Seabolt has led and conducted investigations that involved mobilizing and overseeing resources in multiple countries around the globe. He has worked with experts from a variety of disciplines, including computer forensics, IT security, forensic accounting, handwriting experts, and the like. When the circumstances warrant, Mr. Seabolt interfaces with the appropriate governmental agencies and responds to government subpoenas and inquiries. Mr. Seabolt also advises clients on enhancing compliance programs and other corrective action measures.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Mr. Seabolt has completed the General Civil Mediation Training that is provided through the Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE). Based on his experience and recognition as a leading practitioner, he frequently serves as a mediator and facilitator of business and commercial disputes.
Significant Recent Results
- Prosecuted multi-million dollar fraud claim against sellers under an asset purchase agreement. Secured successful resolution short of trial.
- Prosecuted shareholder oppression action on behalf of minority owner of sports arena. Secured successful buyout of majority owners.
- Prosecuted claim for misappropriation of confidential information on behalf of automotive supplier against foreign contract manufacturer. Secured multi-million-dollar award plus royalties and attorney fees.
- Defended investors in parent company of failed broker-dealer against multi-million dollar claims of control person liability, successor liability and veil-piercing. Resolved cases following initial trial victories.
- Defended developer, majority owner and managers of senior living facilities in member oppression and wrongful termination suit. Successfully moved to dismiss wrongful termination claim. Subsequently resolved member oppression claim following aggressive litigation, counterclaim and motion strategy.
Awards & Recognition
Michigan Super Lawyers for Business Litigation, 2013-present
Best Lawyers in America, 2016-present
America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators, 2017-present
Dbusiness 30 in their 30’s, 2010